Texas Hold em
Seven Card Stud
Texas Hold em Strategy & Tips
1. Big Pairs. High pairs from Aces to Tens are a good starting hand, you have the chance to improve on them, and even if the board doesn't help, you can still win with the highest pair.
2. Middle pairs. They have very little strength, and cannot usually win without improvement. If it is not expensive, wait to see the flop and what possible drawing possibilities are there. If opponents are betting aggressively fold. Possibilities are straight and flush draws.
3. High Cards. Two unsuited high cards should usually be played at least to the flop. The chances are that if you flop a pair you will have the best pair on the table. Suited high cards should be played more often, as a high card flush is now possible.
4. 2 Suited. If your 2 cards are suited, don't overate them. 9 hearts, with 8 hearts, is open ended and slightly better than 10 hearts with 7 hearts, as the gap reduces your chances of hitting the straight. In a strong pot fold. Ace or King suited with a small card, should be treated cautiously in the same way as gap straights. Ace with 2,3,4,or 5 is better as the possible low straight still exists.
After The Flop
1. Bet or call most of your drawing hands, i.e. if you have a four card flush or four card straight. Everyone may fold, or you may hit it.
2. If you don't have a drawing hand after the flop fold.
3. If the flop goes against your high pairs, and shows possible flush or straight, fold, especially if there is heavy betting.
4. When you hit a flush or straight, be aware of the possibilities of other players having the same hand but higher. If there is heavy betting, it is probable that someone else has hit it as well. E.g. if the board shows 6,7,8,9 and you have a 10, you have a good straight but can be beaten by someone holding 10, J. Similarly if you hit a Q high flush, there maybe Ace high and K high still in play.
Ideally, always know what the best possible hand on the table is, this is called the "nuts", if there are several players still in the pot and heavy betting, one of them probably has it. E.g. If the board shows K hearts, Q diamonds, 10 spades, 8 clubs and 7 hearts, then the best possible hand is a high straight Ace, K, Q, J, 10, if you have Ace, J, you have it and should play aggressively, if you have J, 9 be careful.
Recognise early when you have the best hand, the "nuts", as this will maximise your betting and raising opportunities. If you have the "nuts", you can't lose, the worst that can happen is you will share the pot, so push the pot up.
Play more cautiously when you are the first to bet, (to the left of the big blind), as re-raises can be expensive. Position is an advantage in Hold'Em, when you are the last one to act, you are in a much better position. If you are the big blind, and no one has raised you will always see the flop.
When a player first sits down at a table, they will be required to post the equivalent of the big blind. All players have the option of sitting out and waiting until it is actually their turn to be the big blind before they play.
This rule ensures fairness to all players, by preventing players from hopping in and out of the games, and leaving before their turn to post the big blind.
These are the commonly accepted Top 10 Pocket cards in Hold'Em:
5. AK Suited
7. AK Mixed
8. AQ Suited
9. KQ Suited
10. AJ Suited
Low limit Texas Holdem Starting Hands
Hands to Raise :
These are 'premium hands' preflop:
AA, KK, QQ, AK, JJ, AQ, 1010
Hands to call :
You want to see the flop with these hands:
AJ, KQ, QJ, J10, 109 (only if of same suit),99, 88, 77, Ax (same suit)
Finally, poker is a fun game, so have lots of fun, but don't get carried away. It is fun to bluff, but it can be very costly. Its only a bluff when you win, if you lose it was risky.
Omaha Strategy & Tips
The strategy for Omaha is virtually the same as Hold'Em.
But you must always remember that you can only use three of the community cards, and can only use two of your pocket cards.
So two pair on the board (community cards), counts as one pair as you cannot use all four cards. Remember this when looking for full houses.
Remember that since there are so many pocket cards in play, straights and flushes will be common. A lot more common than in Hold'Em.
Omaha Hi/Lo Starting Hands
Seven Card Stud Poker Strategy & Tips
Fifth street is a decision time, as the betting limit increases, this is the time to fold a poor hand, especially against aggressive betting. If you stay in be sure you can play your hand out to the end.
If an opponents exposed cards beat your whole hand, it is best to fold.
If you are trying to make a straight, look to see if other players are showing the cards you need, and reconsider your bet.
If you are trying to make a flush, check to see how many of that suit are left not showing, and adjust your strategy accordingly. For example, if you are trying to make a flush of diamonds, and you hold four and there are another eight showing, there is only one diamond left.
The advantage of playing online is that if you are quick you can write down what cards other players have before they fold, so helping you analyse what possible hands are still available. But you must be quick, as slow play will empty your table of players.
This is a game of patience, so be prepared to wait until you get good hands before betting heavy. Remember there are five rounds of betting in this game as opposed to four in Hold'Em and Omaha, and the level of play can hit the higher limit quicker.
Much of the fun of poker comes from developing successful poker strategies. Learning how to win poker games requires patience and practice. One of the most important tips is to have fun. If you enjoy yourself, you will be able to keep a level head, be objective, and win games.
We hope you have found this basic strategy guide helpful. Your game will improve with practice. Trying putting this strategy to use in a real game of poker. Remember to have fun!
Practice is always the better way to make progress on any issue. There are many ways to play poker and many different poker games. Play the game which you are familiar (or want to be) for free and keep doing it on a regular basis even if this bores you. Focus your attention on your rival players and try to learn from their mistakes.
This is very important. Become familiar with as much data as you can on the Poker game you want to learn, this will definitely help you improve your skills.
Note that players on free tables may bluff their play. But when it comes to real money tables, everyone tries to keep their money and win more - this is the place to watch your opponents behavior.
If you're having a bad time at the tables, take a break. in fact, take breaks anyway just to keep yourself fresh.
Play steady, and have fun. This is the purpose of the game. Keep practicing and visiting play tournament poker and you'll be soon winning in no time.
Click here to learn more about seat selection